Casting Instructions for 'Mabon Offering'
- (All ingredients are measured by weight)
- 5 oz. Butter
- 2 oz. Sugar (caster is preferred for its fast dissolving qualities, but granulated is fine)
- 10 oz. All-purpose flour
- 1 Egg yolk
- A small container of water (the amount depends on the consistency before you add it)
- Spices (you can add them based on what flavor you're going for. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice make for a sweet and warm pastry)
- A small cube of butter
- A 3:1 combination of white granulated sugar and ground cinnamon (3 tbs sugar + 1 tbs cinnamon should suffice)
Note: I do not own the recipe, I simply changed the directions to avoid plagiarism. The owner of this recipe is Soraya. I obtained it from her book The Kitchen Witch: A Year-Round Witch's Brew Of Recipes, Lotions, And Potions For Every Pagan Festival. Her wonderful recipes have never let me down when I'm in need of a recipe for an upcoming Sabbat.
Measure out each of your ingredients and preheat your oven to 400°F (or 200°C). Cream the butter, sugar, and egg yolk together. Slowly work in the flour. Add enough water to make a wet, sticky dough. You may now add any spices you'd like, but they're delicious plain. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap (AKA saran wrap) and let rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but it won't hurt if you make it a day or two prior.
When your dough is ready, unwrap it and take one of these steps:
1) Roll them in small balls like you would with homemade cookies, or
2) Coat a clean surface (counter, table, etc) in flour, and set the unwrapped dough on it. Give the dough a light sprinkling of flour, as well as a rolling pin. Use a cookie cutter of your choosing and put them on a cookie sheet.
OPTIONAL: Before baking, melt the butter before rubbing it on the pastries and sprinkling with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Once you've loaded your cookie sheet, bake them for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown at the edges. Let them cool before setting them on a plate. You may now add any blessings for the diety(ies) you are trying to appease.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Please report any violations of copyright via our contact page.