Chakras are centers of energy, located on the midline of the body. There are seven of them, and they govern our psychological properties. The chakras located on the lower part of our body are our instinctual side, the highest ones our mental side.
1 - Root chakra
- The Root chakra is about being physically there and feeling at home in situations. If it is open, you feel grounded, stable and secure. You don't unnecessarily distrust people. You feel present in the here and now and connected to your physical body. You feel you have sufficient territory.
- If you tend to be fearful or nervous, your Root chakra is probably under-active. You'd easily feel unwelcome.
- If this chakra is over-active, you may be very materialistic and greedy. You're probably obsessed with being secure and resist change.
Open the Root Chakra
- Let the tips of your thumb and index finger touch.
- Concentrate on the Root chakra at the spot in between the genitals and the anus.
- Chant the sound LAM.
2 - Sacral chakra
- The Sacral chakra is about feeling and sexuality. When it is open, your feelings flow freely, and are expressed without you being over-emotional. You are open to intimacy and you can be passionate and lively. You have no problems dealing with your sexuality.
- If you tend to be stiff and unemotional or have a "poker face," the Sacral chakra is under-active. You're not very open to people.
- If this chakra is over-active, you tend to be emotional all the time. You'll feel emotionally attached to people and you can be very sexual.
Open the Sacral Chakra
- Put your hands in your lap, palms up, on top of each other. Left hand underneath, its palm touching the back of the fingers of the right hand. The tips of the thumbs touch gently.
- Concentrate on the Sacral chakra at the sacral bone (on the lower back).
- Chant the sound VAM.
3 - Navel chakra
- The Navel chakra is about asserting yourself in a group. When it is open, you feel in control and you have sufficient self-esteem.
- When the Navel chakra is under-active, you tend to be passive and indecisive. You're probably timid and don't get what you want.
- If this chakra is over-active, you are domineering and probably even aggressive.
Open the Navel Chakra
- Put your hands before your stomach, slightly below your solar plexus. Let the fingers join at the tops, all pointing away from you. Cross the thumbs. It is important to straighten the fingers.
- Concentrate on the Navel chakra located on the spine, a bit above the level of the navel.
- Chant the sound RAM.
4 - Heart chakra
- The Heart chakra is about love, kindness and affection. When it is open, you are compassionate and friendly, and you work at harmonious relationships.
- When your Heart chakra is under-active, you are cold and distant.
- If this chakra is over-active, you are suffocating people with your love and your love probably has quite selfish reasons.
Open the Heart Chakra
- Sit cross-legged. Let the tips of your index finger and thumb touch. Put your left hand on your left knee and your right hand in front of the lower part of your breast bone (so a bit above the solar plexus).
- Concentrate on the Heart chakra at the spine, level with the heart.
- Chant the sound YAM.
5 - Throat chakra
- The Throat chakra is about self-expression and talking. When it is open, you have no problems expressing yourself, and you might be doing so as an artist.
- When this chakra is under-active, you tend not to speak much, and you probably are introverted and shy. Not speaking the truth may block this chakra.
- If this chakra is over-active, you tend to speak too much, usually to domineer and keep people at a distance. You're a bad listener if this is the case.
Open the Throat Chakra
- Cross your fingers on the inside of your hands, without the thumbs. Let the thumbs touch at the tops, and pull them slightly up.
- Concentrate on the Throat chakra at the base of the throat.
- Chant the sound HAM.
6 - Third Eye chakra
- The Third Eye chakra is about insight and visualization. When it is open, you have a good intuition. You may tend to fantasize.
- If it is under-active, you're not very good at thinking for yourself, and you may tend to rely on authorities. You may be rigid in your thinking, relying on beliefs too much. You might even get confused easily.
- If this chakra is over-active, you may live in a world of fantasy too much. In excessive cases halucinations are possible.
Open the Third Eye Chakra
- Put your hands before the lower part of your breast. The middle fingers are straight and touch at the tops, pointing forward. The other fingers are bended and touch at the upper two phalanges. The thumbs point towards you and touch at the tops.
- Concentrate on the Third Eye chakra slightly above the point between the eyebrows.
- Chant the sound OM or AUM.
7 - Crown chakra
- The Crown chakra is about wisdom and being one with the world. When this chakra is open, you are unprejudiced and quite aware of the world and yourself.
- If it is under-active, you're not very aware of spirituality. You're probably quite rigid in your thinking.
- If this chakra is over-active, you are probably intellectualizing things too much. You may be addicted to spirituality and are probably ignoring your bodily needs.
Open the Crown Chakra
- Put your hands before your stomach. Let the ring fingers point up, touching at their tops. Cross the rest of your fingers, with the left thumb underneath the right.
- Concentrate on the Crown chakra at the top of your head.
- Chant the sound NG.
- Warning: don't use this meditation for the Crown chakra while you don't have a strong Root chakra (you need a strong foundation first).
All information couretesy of https://www.eclecticenergies.com/