What is Visualization?
Visualization is the art of creating a visible picture in your mind, much like a daydream. This technique is useful when doing your magical workings because if you can visualize the outcome of what you desire (say getting a good grade on a test) then you will have a higher chance of fulfilling that desire. (Getting an A+)It is wise to practice this technique often, as you will see this technique referred to often throughout your path. To improve this skill, meditate regularly, and try to visual something you know well, such as a toy or jewelry. Form a mental image in your mind of the object, each time going further and further into detail. However, to get you started, a step-by-step process is outlined below.
This is a long process at first, so I would recommend you take your time instead of trying to rush through it. If you are unable to visualize the next step, just take a deep breath, relax, and try again. Its not expected you get everything on your first try, just take everything at your own pace. As it is a very common technique, I will use Laurie Cabots apple visualization.
- To begin, close your eyes, and meditate for a few minutes. Just allow you mind to relax as you listen and feel your heart beat. Just focus solely on your heart, nothing else. When you are calm, and your mind has settled down, then you can begin.
- Start forming a mental image of an apple in your imagination. Pay heavy attention to its shape, color, size, and external features. What color is the apple; green, red, yellow? Is it a large apple, or is it quite small? Is the apple round? Perhaps its dented. Just note the features, and go into as much detail as you can.
- When you feel as if youve done everything you can with the part above, try reaching out and feeling the apple in your mind (it may take a couple tries). Roll it around in your hands and try to feel everything the apple has to offer. What does it feel like? Soft? Hard? Mushy? Course? Smooth?
- For the next step, try smelling the apple. With both hands, bring the apple to your face and inhale the delicate scent of the apple.
- Lastly, bring the apple to your mouth, and take a bite. Feel the juices running down your chin, smell the sweet aroma, hear the crunch as you chew, see the bite you took out of the apple, and finally taste the sweet flavor. Use all of your senses, as you finish eating the apple, one bite at a time.
- When you have finished the apple, take a deep breath, and praise yourself for a successful visualization. You can now use this technique for anything you wish.
Uses Of Visualization
- Substituting Magic Tools: When you can hold an image for a long period of time in your mind, you can start visualizing tools instead of actually using them. This can be very helpful if you are traveling and want to do a spell but don't have all of your tools with you or if you don't have the money to buy all of the various magic tools.
- Substituting Spells: When you become more experienced at visualizationit's possible to visualize anything that you'd normally cast a spell for.This comes in handy when in a crowd of people and don't want to say a spell.
- Spell Booster : Visualizing the outcome of a spell while or before you cast it will greatly increase its chances of being successful.
I would suggest that you visualize something that you practice the exercise given above with the apple at least 10 times this month. This will help you to become a better visualizer. I would also recommend you write your experiences down for your Book of Shadows as it will be interesting looking back on what you wrote, when you are further down the road in your path.