1) read every book you can get your grubby hands on. your local library might have a few, otherwise check out book stores and metaphysical shops if you can find one in your area. An easy way is to bring up your home address in google maps, then select the 'search nearby' option and type in 'metaphysical', or 'reiki', or 'crystals', and see what hits pop up.
2) Start with the basics. Learn about meditation, symbology, self-realization, Zen, Taoism, shamanism, western spirituality, even Christianity. The broader the range of ideas you have the broader and stronger the foundations you have to draw from. Avoid looking at any idea from only a single angle as then you only get a two-dimensional image. The wider the view, the more depth you see.
3) work to maintain your grounding. As the saying goes, you may place one foot in the ocean, but keep one foot on land or else risk being swept away. One of the many early traps that cause problems is the tendency to lose touch with reality, and overriding the limits of energy and magic with fantastic whimsy.
4) Learn about some of the basic laws and theories of physics and natural processes. They can teach a lot on magical topics as well as they work together. Observing nature and natural cycles is a valuable tool.
5) Always employ your reason and best judgement. Especially when sharing ideas and questions and advice with others. Don't treat what others say as decided fact just because they -say- it is fact. test the information against your own experiences and beliefs.
6) on that same note, remember that knowledge is fluid. As you learn new things it might reveal previous things as incorrect or only partly correct. Ideas will always be coming and going, changing and evolving. Don't begrudge yourself if you end up taking on incorrect information. be ready to take in new ideas always. ... Also be prepared to let go of old ideas as well.