So, visualization in a nutshell, is the ability to see things through our mind's eye. Visualization is a very important skill in Magick, so we need to know how to visualize something vividly. I've received mails from quite a few people really saying.. ." oh no I cannot visualize" , " my imagination is weak, I've lost this ability", "I'm grown up, I cannot visualize".
No, no, no, no, no. Don't get discouraged! There's a solution for everything. Okay? There are lots of exercises you can do to improve/strengthen (you name it) your visualization. So, let's see some exercises you can do very easily. These exercises are great for beginners. So try them out.
Close your eyes and take a deep breath. Now visualize a triangle. Focus on the triangle. Make it look real. Hold this image for 1 minute straight. After that, give a color to the triangle. Let's say yellow. Visualize a yellow triangle. Hold this image for 1 minute. Now visualize a circle, right next to the yellow triangle. Hold this image for 1 minute straight. Make sure you're in a quiet place... and there are not any distractions. Focus on this image for a while. Try to visualize the circle and the triangle as vividly as possible. Now give the circle a color. Let's say... red for example. You have 1 yellow triangle and 1 red circle. See them. Twist them around. Make them move. Hold this image for a while. That's it. It wasn't difficult at all, was it?:)
Take a pen and place it right in front of you. Take a few deep breaths, and relax a tad bit. Take the pen and place it onto your hands. Touch it. Look at it, look at its details... do this for about a minute or so. "Study" it. After you're done, place the pen on your desk. Close your eyes. Relax. Take a few deep breaths and try to visualize the pen on your desk. With your eyes closed of course. See the desk. Feel its texture. See the pen. Feel its texture. Visualize it as vividly as possible. Know that the pen is there. Hold this image for a few seconds to minutes (it's up to you). Remain concentrated. Now visualize that your hand touching the pen. Feel it. Visualize a blank piece of paper, and write with the pen. Write whatever you want, it's up to you. Write your name. Visualize writing your name with the pen. Hold this image for a minute. After you've done that, write, 1,2,3,4...10. See the numbers See the pen. See the paper. Know they're there. Make them look as if they're really there.That's it. Simple as that.:)
Sit in a comfortable position, and close your eyes. Breathe deeply. Now, visualize:
- A beach. ( The sun, the birds, the sand, the sea, everything really, it's your imagination).
- Your favorite car.
- Your best friend.
- Your favorite food.
- A forest.
Hold these images... for 1 minute to several minutes.
Now let's make this exercise more difficult, or should I say, more "tricky"?
Take a few deep breaths, sit in a comfortable position and make sure there are no distractions.
- Close your eyes. Visualize the color blue for 1 minute. Vividly. The more vividly you visualize something, the better it is. Visualize a blue board. Hold this image for 1 minute. Take a few deep breaths now, and visualize a red board. Hold this image for 1 minute. Take a few deep breaths and visualize a yellow board. Etc.. You can add on to this exercise. Now clear your mind.
- Visualize again a beach. The sun is shining. The birds are singing. The sand is hot. There are children playing on the beach. Visualize this scenery and you can add on things. Now, visualize that you're in this scenery. Know that you're there. Feel the texture of the sand. Go to the sea, swim, feel the water. Make it look real, make it look vivid. Do this for up to 15 minutes or more.
- Visualize again your best friend, "portray" him/her. Visualize all their features, characteristics, their hair, nose, mouth, eyes, smile ,everything. But particularly focus on their face. Now visualize yourself right next to your friend. Visualize that you're talking to your friend. Make it look real, make it look vivid (oh yes, again). Do this for up to 15 minutes or more.
- Visualize your favorite car. See your favorite car. Now, get in the car, and drive, yes drive. See the other cars, pedestrians crossing by, see everything in detail. Visualize this for up to 15 minutes.
- Visualize your favorite food. Visualize again everything in detail. Smell it, and then taste it. Feel how it tastes. Feel how it smells.
- Last but not least, visualize a forest early in the morning. Visualize the trees, the animals, the soil, the sky, the sun, everything. Now get into this scenery. You're in the forest. Sit down, smile and meditate. Hear the birds singing. Hug the trees. Be one with Nature. Again... vividly. :)
Alright, these were 4 very simple exercises for everyone, yes for everyone. Try these exercises several times. Add stuff on them. It's your mind. It's your imagination. Visualize everything as vividly as possible. As if it's really there ...
Now someone might ask... why do I have to learn how to visualize things? This skill is very important in Magick. You can use it in
- Astral projection
- Spell casting
- Circle casting
It's an important skill that we all have to work on.
Hope this helps. :