The best type of spell is the one you have created yourself with your own words and rhymes. Remember, as much energy as you put in your magick is as much energy as you will get out from it. And believe. The key is to believe.
In making your spells, it helps to write things out first and then work your ritual out from there. Here is an outline you can use as a guideline and even print out and fill in as you go along. Print as many copies as you need. You will probably need to go through the entire outline for the first few spells.
1. Define the goal of the ritual. Understand your magickal need. Know what it is you are casting this spell for.
2. Find or create the words of power you will need (a chant or prayer). A simple rhyme will do. Memorize these, it helps to not have to look into your book or piece of paper constantly.
If you are invoking a deity and/or anything else, decide on who and/or what and memorize an invocation or simply create one of your own. (For an example, if you were calling Hecate, you could simply say, "Hecate, Dark Goddess, I call thee!").
3. Decide when and where you will work your magick, keeping in mind the lunar phases and days of the week.
4. Plan how you will visualize your goal in your mind.
5. Decide on any correspondences, such as herbs, colors, elements, and tools, that you want in your ritual. Write these down and decied on how to include them in the ritual. (Example: "Water would be appropriate for this ritual, so I will have a bowl of water on my altar").
With all this written out, you are ready to decide how you will perform the ritual using the information you have gathered. Now, let's start the magick!
- At the appropriate time, gather the items and go to the place you are going to cast your spell.
- Cast your circle.
- Invite or invoke whoever and/or whatever you want present for this spell. Say any prayers you want.
- Clear your mind and begin visualizing your goal as you planned. You can state your goal out loud if you want to.
- Raise energy within yourself. Say your words of power or do whatever you like to raise energy. Light your candles, charge your stones, dance, sing, etc. to focus your attention and raise energy. Here is where you should involve your correspondences in the spell.
- When you feel you have raised all the energy possible, release it to do your will. Throw your arms up, cry out, whatever makes you feel like you're releasing the energy.
- Finish the spell with a "So mote it be" or "This is my will, so it shall be." It is a sign of closure and a declaration that you know your magick will be successful.
- Ground your energy. This is also very important. Any extra energy could possibly result in unwanted results or even harm.
- Thank whoever and/or whatever was there to help you and close the circle. Closing the circle is very important. If you don't close it properly, you may let loose some remaining energy in the circle, and that is never good.
- Have your cakes and ale, or cookies and juice if you prefer.
- Record the spell in your Book of Shadows and save any remaining items that you wish in your personal witch's box, if you have one.