You can wear a weapon as you like to emphasize the power that you have over those who are not of this world. Put three candles on the altar and five others of seasonal colors before the altar. A pentagram should be marked on the ritual area, centered on the spot where you will be sitting before the altar. It would be appropriate to place a pumpkin and some ears of corn to one side of the altar and a cauldron ( or suitable substitute ) on the other side. Put some salt and bread on the pentacle and a cup of wine. Use some incense liberally throughout the ceremony.
1) You should take a cleansing bath before the ritual. When you are ready to begin, meditate for a while on the fact that the veil between the worlds is thin and that for centuries past, other mages did this ritual. When ready, light the three candles on the altar and say:
* Candle 1 This I light for the Maiden's bright glory.
* Candle 2 This I light for the passion and triumph of the Lady.
* Candle 3 This for the wisdom of the Crone
* 2) Light the incense, and then the five candles which sit before the altar, saying:
These do I light in honor Not only of the Three-Fold Goddess But for Her strong, horned consort. He who is sometimes laughing, sometimes grim And close nearby on this night.
-Stand, pointing the wand out before you, calling:
On this, the sacred night of Samhain Do I build this small temple In honor of the Goddess, and of the God And of the Ancient Ones From the times before Time. To all I do give my love And my warmest greetings.
* 3) Place the five candles at the point of the pentagram, touching each with the wand. Rap thrice upon the altar with the wand, then replace it. Kneel and hold out your arms out over it, crossed, and give the incantation:
This is a time that is not a time In a place that is not a place On a day that is not a day Between the worlds And beyond...
-Pause for the space of 13 heartbeats. Then hold your hands over the salt, bread and wine in an attitude of blessing, and say:
For this salt, bread, and wine Do I ask the blessings Of Maiden, of Lady, of Crone And of the Horned One Who guards the Portal of the Worlds
-Take the bread and touch it to the salt, saying:
May I, and those whom I love Have sufficiency and good health.
-After eating the bread, take the wine cup and hold it forth in a toast toward the north, saying:
May our spirits be strong.
-Drink the wine, and proclaim:
By the Threefold Goddess And the Horned God So be it!
* 4)When you feel that the ritual should end, put out the candles beginning with those on the pentagram and say:
Though these flames Of the material world Be darkened, They shall ever burn In the worlds beyond. The rite is ended!