Taking responsibility for your own actions, abiding by your own ethics, all of that is Satanism. As stated in LaVey's Satanic Bible:
1. Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than
those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual
development", has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or
9. Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years!
I suppose it would depend on the branch of Satanism you are discussing. As discussed above, Levayan Satanism seems to abide by a good moral compass,but it is naive to ignore the fact that there are ''bad'' Satanists out there,just as there are ''bad'' Christians, ''bad'' Muslims,etc,etc.
People practice Satanism different ways. Some are Laveyan Satanists who simply follow the rules and guidelines outlined in the Satanic Bible, and others actually worship Satan or sometimes do witchcraft. It all depends. People have the freedom to practice the religion they choose, and that is a beautiful thing!