This has been getting around lately, and I'd like - for the benefit of those who would cite its wisdom - to clarify its sketchy source.
Chances are you've already seen a repost of the '10 Rules for Being Human.' Some sources allege the author is anonymous. Others will say it was "handed down from ancient Sanskrit," whatever that means. A rarer few will cite what I believe to be its actual source - Cherie Carter-Scott, a motivational speaker, life-coach and author. (I've never read any of her books, but I suspect that of all the sources cited, she is the most likely.)
This is her personal website: http://www.drcherie.com/
These are the ten rules most commonly reposted on sites like Facebook, Reddit, blogs, etc. This quotation was pulled from a blog post: http://autumninsanskrit.tumblr.com/post/3100638721/10-rules-for-being-human
"10 Rules For Being Human
1. You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it?s yours to keep for the entire period.
2. You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time informal school called, "life."
3. There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial, error, and experimentation. The "failed" experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiments that ultimately "work."
4. Lessons are repeated until they are learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. When you have learned it, you can go on to the next lesson.
5. Learning lessons does not end. There?s no part of life that doesn?t contain its lessons. If you?re alive, that means there are still lessons to be learned.
6. "There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here," you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."
7. Other people are merely mirrors of you. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something you love or hate about yourself.
8. What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. The choice is yours.
9. Your answers lie within you. The answers to life?s questions lie within you. All you need to do is look, listen, and trust.
10. You will forget all of this."
As I'm still not sure, thanks to a long game of 'telephone' the Internet likes to play fast and loose with its source material, where exactly these come from, they still resonate with me as a witchcraft practitioner.
What do you think?