This is the dirt basics on meditation. This is where i start all my students at, and where i recommend ALL new beginners start.
NOTE: I like to play soft music when i meditate, though only do it if it wont distract you.
1. Sit in a comfortable position. This needs to be a position you can sit in for at least 20 minutes comfortably. Your spine must also be completely erect. Everyone looks at crossed legs as the go to meditation. I for one hate sitting with crossed legs. I usually sit in warriors pose (sitting on the heels) But everyone is different.
2. Control the breathe at first. Breathe in for a count of 4, out for a count of 6. once you have a hang of this, breathe in for a count of 4, out for a count of 8. Once you have a hang of this, let your breathe go naturally. you will notice you breathes are deeper, and more rhythmical.
3. Close your eyes and clear your mind. Do not actively think. You may have random thoughts. When this happens, aknowledge that the thought was there, and let it go. Come back to your breathing thinking "inhale" as you inhale and "exhale" as you exhale. The key to meditation is being passive. Do not control your thoughts. Just let them pass, and don't elaborate on them. Just let them go. This will keep your mind relaxed and calm.
4. Do this for at least 20 minutes (but don't interrupt your meditation to check the time). Just meditate for as long as you wish (though any less than 20 minutes will not be too effective)
5. Lastly... ENJOY meditating. don't make it a chore.
If this was done correctly, you should feel refreshed and energized.
~Namaste and Blessed be. :)