there is so much information on this website and on the net in general that I suppose one could feel overwhelmed.
first step: don't stress. that's what meditation is and that the way to look at it. don't stress
2. lay comfortably on the floor or your bed. should be a firm but not uncomfortable surface.
3. relax all the muscles in your body. lots of different ways to do this. I learned to start at the toes and work the way up. neck and shoulders always seemed the hardest. don't forget to relax the muscles in your face. take your time. as much time as you need . one thing that always helped me was to feel the surface I was on supporting me. feel the earth itself holding you...sounds cheesy but it really works.
4. relax...focus on your breathing. in through the nose, fill your diaphragm...your "stomach" area should expand. out through the mouth. in through the nose, deeply very deeply but relaxed. out through the mouth. with each exhalation you feel more relaxed, more calm more positive. listen to your breathing. relax feeling deeper and deeper calmness with each breath.
5. thoughts pop into your mind, look at them as a singular thing then dismiss them. don't connect thoughts just dismiss as they come. focus on the darkness and the lights inside your eyelids. clear your mind. relax don't focus, but unfocus. feel your breathing and try to listen to your heartbeat
6. Relax.... (you get the them here...?) envision a place that you want to make for yourself. it can be outdoors, indoors whatever. make the place real in your mind. do the visuals of it first, then the sounds then make sure you are IN that place. it is a safe place only you can go. it is your place and you feel completely at peace here completely calm and happy yo be here. make it real, it is real. and it is in your mind. and by practicing, relaxing, and breathing ...you can come here anytime you like
7. imagine yourself enjoying the place you created. relax and just be there and feel calm and happy. now imagine bright white light surrounding you. from the top of your head all across your body to the tips of your toes. the light feels good, it is soft and it connects you to your place and makes you feel warm and comfortable. feel this light surround you and protect you and make you feel loved.
Congrats you have just meditated, visualized and grounded yourself. you have created a sacred place inside your mind where you can go and feel at peace.
Use these techniques to do more complex visualizations. receiving an email that says you just got this amazing job...visualize the words you want to see. Imagine soft sweet pink light surrounding you and the person you love. share the pink light with him/her and imagine him/her telling you how much he/she loves you....
Just relax, practice, take your time and don't worry about everything happening all at once, just let it all happen as it happens.
When you do this, it makes spellcasting, creating intentions, vibrating chants, meditating on sigils soooo much easier...just do a bit at a time and enjoy the process.
Blessings and Light