So I saw this post on a site,the person got this from a book I think.This is not my own words but it did shed some insight and I hope it would do the same for you as well.Sources for this are listed below the article.Thx for reading.
There are different types of em-paths who employ different psychic emphatic traits. These are the 10 levels of the em-path:
Psychometry - the emphatic ability ...to receive energy, information and impressions from objects, photographs or places
Telepathy - the emphatic ability to read people's thoughts
Medium-ship - the emphatic ability to feel the presence and energies of spirits
Physical Healing - the emphatic ability to feel other people's physical symptoms in your own body (and often the ability to heal, transform or transmute them)
Emotional Healing - the emphatic ability to feel another person's emotions
Animal Communication - the emphatic ability to hear, feel and communicate with animals
Nature - the empathetic ability to read, feel and communicate with nature and with plants
Geomancy - the emphatic ability to read the energy of places and of the land - geomancers can feel the energies of the Earth, such as Ley lines. They can also get headaches, pain or anxiety before earthquakes or other disasters occur anywhere on the planet.
Precognition - the emphatic ability to feel when something important is about to happen (often this can be a feeling of inexplicable dread or doom)
Claircognizance or Knowing - the emphatic ability to feel what needs to be done in any given circumstance, often accompanied by a feeling of peace and calm, even in the midst of a crisis
Symptoms of being an Empathy:
?Acute senses ? i.e. sense of smell, taste, sight, touch, hearing etc.
?Acute awareness of the feelings of those around them and feeling deeply for those in pain or suffering
?Often easily hurt
?Avoidance of conflict where possible preferring to keep things harmonious
?Easily startled by noise
?Easily moved to tears because of deep feeling
?Nervous in crowded situations
?People feel safe around them and able to talk to them easily. Even complete strangers will talk to them about personal things without consciously intending to do so
?Animals and children love and are attracted to them
?Easily affected by the weather
?Their greatest gift is to perceive with the heart
?They are usually a blessing to be around as they are nurturing and caring
?Music and harmony are very important to them. They can lose themselves completely while listening to music that resonates with them.
?Water is very beneficial and therapeutic to the empathy
Having psychic emphatic traits can be extremely challenging, and even painful. The definition of emphatic understanding is to be able to feel what another person feels (sometimes both emotionally and physically). Even under normal circumstances, having psychic emphatic traits can be confusing and difficult to manage or understand, but in times of global chaos, emotional tidal waves that rip through the collective consciousness can be utterly overwhelming. This is why an em-path feels anxiety at these times.
Some people consider being an em-path to be a paranormal trait, but it is more normal than we realize. Many, many people have psychic emphatic traits, but they are usually labeled as being "overly sensitive". Em paths have a heightened sensitivity, and parapsychologists often refer to them as being "Psi Sensitives".
Some of the characteristics of an em-path include being "moody", or having mood swings for no apparent reason. This is because em-paths pick up on the energies and emotions from other people, places, animals, and even things around them. An em-path can be feeling fine one moment, then suddenly become depressed or sad or angry, or even develop physical pain and headaches "out of the blue". Many em-paths can feel like they are going crazy, especially emphatic children who cannot understand what they are feeling or why they are feeling that way. An em-path must learn to trace these feelings back to their origin in order to determine what triggered them. First ask yourself, "Is this mine?" - if the answer is no, then determine when and where it started, and who or what was around you at that time.
Some other characteristics of an em-path can involve extreme shyness, avoidance of public places, or being overweight (especially in children). These are all ways to try to shield and protect oneself from the psychic abilities of being em-path. An em-path can absorb and take on the feelings and symptoms of others just by being near them or even by speaking with them on the phone, which is why an em-path feels anxiety when faced with crowds of people.
By Lyn-Rose-Hornabrook and Grace and Grace Associates Consulting Inc
Group for empaths http://www.templeilluminatus.com/group/empathsupportgroup/forum/topics/10-types-of-empaths
I myself am an empath. And this is Verry accurate doscriptiob, one of the best and most complete I've been able to find. My empath abilities are strongest in the phisical and emotional heal areas and I have been using those empathic abilities since before I even knew what an empath was, or even heard of it. But being an empath (ex specialty in healing ones it seems) can be dangerous and isnt for the weak willed. I myself have accidentally done something to big and went into a short coma like state for a few hours. I suggest looking into how to controll when you use it and possibly some seals to block out negative feelings and pain because they can affect you at any time if you arnt careful! Don't get cocky with your abilities and know your limits!
i am also an empath, and like iampossessed said, it is a pretty accurate description :)
alot of people have these abilities and traits and dont realize that its because they have this gift of being an empath.
This is not my words and I dont take any credit for it.This piece is written by the same person.Here are 30 traits of an empath:
30 traits of an Empath
1. Knowing: Empaths just know stuff, without being told. It?s a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings, even though that is how many would describe the knowing. The more attuned they are the stron...ger this gift becomes.
2. Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums where there are lots of people around can fill the empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others.
3. Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: This is a huge one for empaths. To some they will feel emotions off those near by and with others they will feel emotions from those a vast distance away, or both. The more adept empath will know if someone is having bad thoughts about them, even from great distance.
4. Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: The more attuned an empath becomes the worse it is and may make it so they eventually have to stop watching TV and reading newspapers altogether.
5. You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it (although many empaths try not to focus on this because knowing a loved one is lying can be painful). Or if someone is saying one thing but feeling/thinking another, you know.
6. Picking up physical symptoms off another: An empath will almost always develop the ailments off another (colds, eye infections, body aches and pains) especially those they?re closest to, somewhat like sympathy pains.
7. Digestive disorders and lower back problems: The solar plexus chakra is based in the centre of the abdomen and it?s known as the seat of emotions. This is where empaths feel the incoming emotion of another, which can weaken the area and eventually lead to anything from stomach ulcers to IBS (too many other conditions to list here). Lower back problems can develop from being ungrounded (amongst other things) and one, who has no knowledge of them being an empath, will almost always be ungrounded.
8. Always looking out for the underdog: Anyone whose suffering, in emotional pain or being bullied draws an empath?s attention and compassion.
9. Others will want to offload their problems on you, even strangers: An empath can become a dumping ground for everyone else?s issues and problems, which, if they?re not careful can end up as their own.
10. Constant fatigue: Empaths often get drained of energy, either from energy vampires or just taking on too much from others, which even sleep will not cure. Many get diagnosed with ME.
11. Addictive personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, are to name but a few addictions that empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It is a form of self protection in order to hide from someone or something.
12. Drawn to healing, holistic therapies and all things metaphysical: Although many empaths would love to heal others they can end up turning away from being healers (even though they have a natural ability for it), after they?ve studied and qualified, because they take on too much from the one they are trying to heal. Especially if they are unaware of their empathy. Anything of a supernatural nature is of interest to empaths and they don?t surprise or get shocked easily. Even at the revelation of what many others would consider unthinkable, for example, empaths would have known the world was round when others believed it was flat.
13. Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination.
14. Love of nature and animals: Being outdoors in nature is a must for empaths and pets are an essential part of their life.
15. Need for solitude: An empath will go stir-crazy if they don?t get quiet time. This is even obvious in empathic children.
16. Gets bored or distracted easily if not stimulated: Work, school and home life has to be kept interesting for an empath or they switch off from it and end up daydreaming or doodling.
17. Finds it impossible to do things they don?t enjoy: As above. Feels like they are living a lie by doing so. To force an empath to do something they dislike through guilt or labelling them as idle will only serve in making them unhappy. It?s for this reason many empaths get labelled as being lazy.
18. Strives for the truth: This becomes more prevalent when an empath discovers his/her gifts and birthright. Anything untruthful feels plain wrong.
19. Always looking for the answers and knowledge: To have unanswered questions can be frustrating for an empath and they will endeavour to find an explanation. If they have a knowing about something they will look for confirmation. The downside to this is an information overload.
20. Likes adventure, freedom and travel: Empaths are free spirits.
21. Abhors clutter: It makes an empath feel weighed down and blocks the flow of energy.
22. Loves to daydream: An empath can stare into space for hours, in a world of their own and blissfully happy.
23. Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning: Anything that takes away their freedom is debilitating to an empath even poisoning.
24. Prone to carry weight without necessarily overeating: The excess weight is a form of protection to stop the negative incoming energies having as much impact.
25. Excellent listener: An empath won?t talk about themselves much unless it?s to someone they really trust. They love to learn and know about others and genuinely care.
26. Intolerance to narcissism: Although kind and often very tolerant of others, empaths do not like to be around overly egotistical people, who put themselves first and refuse to consider another?s feelings or points of view other than their own.
27. The ability to feel the days of the week: An empath will get the ?Friday Feeling? if they work Fridays or not. They pick up on how the collective are feeling. The first couple of days of a long, bank holiday weekend (Easter for example) can feel, to them, like the world is smiling, calm and relaxed. Sunday evenings, Mondays and Tuesdays, of a working week, have a very heavy feeling.
28. Will not choose to buy antiques, vintage or second-hand: Anything that?s been pre-owned carries the energy of the previous owner. An empath will even prefer to have a brand new car or house (if they are in the financial situation to do so) with no residual energy.
29. Sense the energy of food: Many empaths don?t like to eat meat or poultry because they can feel the vibrations of the animal (especially if the animal suffered), even if they like the taste.
30. Can appear moody, shy, aloof, disconnected: Depending on how an empath is feeling will depend on what face they show to the world. They can be prone to mood swings and if they?ve taken on too much negative will appear quiet and unsociable, even miserable. An empath detests having to pretend to be happy when they?re sad, this only adds to their load (makes working in the service industry, when it?s service with a smile, very challenging) and can make them feel like scuttling under a stone.
For the rest of the article got o this link
It has a better and longer definition.Also the group is aimed solely for empaths.So if you want to connect with other empaths or have questions there is the place for it.Only problem being you have to be 18 yrs and over to be apart of the site.
I need help plz..I. feel lay line and have always been good with animals. People are my problem ...I feel the lie with the other emotions. I know what I am...I. am compelled to help..I know I am a healer..I. was a paramedic on my way to being a Dr..but I had a bad head I.jury on the way to ark..just becuz I can read emotions does not mean I can read a mind..people lye about everything ..I don't. Know y...I. can also feel energies since I. Was a child..some. are bad..they follow. Me wherever I go..some r ok..some r bad..I don't. Speak to them becuz of bad experiences ..can someone. Help me..I. know I. Can do more but was taught it was evil..I. know that's. Not true..looking for a mentor ..plz contact. Me if u can help..plz. funk u
In my opinion everyone is to a certain degree an empathy, unless you're a psychopath with a brain disorder (but I still think they can sense emotions to a very limited degree). I think people with more than average empathic are very blessed, because they can sense suffering more easily I suspect they are moved towards compassion and spiritual paths more easily. In Buddhism, we develop Metta and Bodhicitta (wiki'em) through various kinds of meditations, empathy is very involved in this process.
this post speak to me very clearly. i believe i am one as well. for example, i dont care to go to funerals...the reason being is the unbearable emotions going on in the room. i have a "different" look on death than most people in my family and friend environment. I cry my eyes out, but not for the person who died, but because of all the raw emotion in the room. when i'm talking to someone, i almost immediatly know how they feel about what is beingsaid.another example is the day my mother died. i was 10 and sitting in school, butabout thetime she died, i had a very intense gut feeling...almost nausiating. a little while later the police showed up to get my sisters and i from class. i had a reoccuring dream as a child about the place where she died. i KNEW something bad was going to happen that day andmy sisters and i all begged to stay home. my parents said no...we were all three very upset, but i couldnt leave like that. i was the only one to give both of them a hug and kiss and told them how much i loved them before i went to catch the bus. my mother died that day and my father spent the next 17yrs in prison :'( ...i also know when something is leerking nearby. i look over my shoulder a lot and most times can even pick up on whether the entity is "light" or "dark". i'm really intuitive, but i would love some pointers to expand my gifts. i feel like i have them for a purpose and really want to get better at recognising things, so i can do what needs to be done. thanks for listening!