The Energy of Magic?
By: changedcynic / Beginner Apr 01, 2012
Post # 1
I'm very new at this and I've read that magic needs properly directed energy to work. This raises a few questions for me:
1. How do you know if you have enough magic for a spell, or detect magic in general
2. How do you augment sheer power
3. Can items be created, like things inscribed with runes, that essentially do the magic for you?
4. Do people lose something when they perform magic? (and I don't necessarily mean permanently)
5. How many of the props(cauldrons, wands, herbs, candles) are really needed. Can I use anything that has a meaning as well as occult roots?
6. What are magic's limits that can be overcome, and which are unbreakable?
Please answer, I'm really interested in your points of view
1. Experience. There's not hard and fast rule that declares that "this is enough" or "this isn't enough." Through enough attempts and keeping good records of your workings and of the results you will ultimately be able to figure out how much is needed for any given working.
2. Calling upon external beings to help you (deities, angels, etc.) and using items which have their own energetic charge either inherently (like crystals) or through extended magickal use (such as a trusty old wand you've used many times).
3. Sort of. It is ultimately still you who does the magick, but creating a sigil or some some such will aid you in continuing to work your magick long after the ritual has ended. I once made a sigil just as an example in order to explain sigils to a friend - no spells or rituals or even any conscious intent on my end - and it went ahead and worked anyway. Granted, I wasn't asking for anything difficult or demanding, just unlikely.
4. I unfortunately can't quite figure out what is meant. Could you elaborate?
5. In certain, very specific workings, you need the props listed. This generally only applies to things Hermetic summoning of demons. Beyond that, props are mostly to make things easier or to allow physically striking imagery that causes an emotional, and therefore energetic, response in us.
6. Magick can make any change allowed by the nature of the thing changed. You can use a spell to mend a relationship because relationships are a mendable thing. You can use a spell to hex someone because people are affected by luck and will naturally have extreme bouts of both good luck and bad luck. You cannot use a spell to turn into a cat because metamorphosis between species is not something a human is meant to do.
Magick can therefore only do those things which could theoretically happen on their own, even with extremely low odds.
Re: The Energy of Magic?
By: tjlostsoul Apr 25, 2012
Post # 6
just like in scince magic is enegry and can be created or distroyed just tranfuer to a new form some like the anime full medtal alchmist but a little difrrent also your engry can replensist by the moon medatsicsin or sleep or even eating
Re: The Energy of Magic?
By: changedcynic / Beginner Apr 25, 2012
Post # 8
I have no idea why this post has resurfaced. For me its like ancient history by this point. Thank you guys for your advice. Its because of helpful people like that helped me build my knowledge of magic. However I'm now moving beyond the most basic questions such as what the limits of magic are and what props are needed (It takes just a bit of common sense) as I've become more intimate with the subject. Thanks for the advice everyone and Iet the thread die.